At Furauto we want you to find the rental car in Tarragona you need. Pick up and drop off your car thanks to our extensive network of branches in the capital and in the province of Tarragona.
Travel to Tarragona with your rental car
Welcome to Tarragona, the city of Roman ruins. A place that will make you fly to the ancient Empire and allow you to know its customs, buildings and traditions. But it is also a city where you can enjoy the beach and the sun.
Tarragona, with its more than 131,000 inhabitants, has the luxury of being a UNESCO World Heritage City. The title was awarded in 2000 for its impressive cultural assets.
Strolling through the streets of Tarragona you will be able to contemplate a great variety of Roman and medieval monuments. The Gothic Cathedral and the Roman walls are two clear examples of the rich architectural and historical heritage of the city. If you want to know these wonders in depth we recommend that you do not miss the opportunity to make the tour of the Archaeological Walk.
Tarraco, as it was known in the Roman Empire, became the capital of Hispania Tarraconensi. Today, you can still visit its impressive Circus, Theater and Amphitheater and in its streets you can still feel the Roman culture.
And if later you want to relax a little and enjoy the good weather you can go to one of the beautiful beaches of the town. La Arrabassada, Playa Llarga and the Miracle located under the well-known "Balcony of the Mediterranean" are some of the most popular alternatives.
Don't forget that Tarragona has a sensational climate with an average temperature of 18 ̊C. The Costa Dorada, which takes its name from the color of the sand of its beaches, is a worldwide tourist attraction. The same goes for Port Aventura. The great amusement park is only 15 minutes away from the capital of Tarragona.
But this city is also a city of tradition. If you have the opportunity, do not miss Los Castells. These human towers will take your breath away.
And of course, so that nothing stops you if you decide to visit any of these emblematic places in Furauto we can offer you a wide range of cheap car hire in Tarragona. Booking your ideal vehicle at a very competitive price is quick and simple using our online search engine, our offers are unbelievable!
How to get to Tarragona
Tarragona capital does not have an airport, but we can find the Reus Airport just 7 kilometers away. A little further away, 82 kilometers, is Barcelona Airport. Those who wish to arrive by sea, should know that the Port of Tarragona serves as a stopover for many Mediterranean cruises and is one of the most important in the area.
It also has two train stations. At Tarragona Station, located in the city center, regional and long-distance (national and international) trains stop. The "Camp de Tarragona" High Speed Train Station operates with AVE, Avant, Alvia and Trenhotel trains.
If you prefer to travel by road, Tarragona is very well connected by bus with the towns of the province and other Spanish cities. And how could it be otherwise, here are the main roads to access the city if you want to come to Tarragona with your rental car:
- A-7. Mediterranean Highway. Algeciras-Barcelona: Enter Tarragona linking with the N-240 to the north of the city.
- N-340. Cádiz-Barcelona: Go to the Plaça de la Imperial Tarraco and enter from the west of the city.
- N-240. Tarragona-Bilbao: The best road if you are traveling from Lérida or Zaragoza. It ends at Plaça de la Imperial Tarraco.
- N-420. Córdoba-Tarragona: Joins the capital of Tarragona with Reus and Teruel and follows the route of the Via Augusta.
Where can I pick up and drop off my rental car in Tarragona?
With Furauto you can pick up and drop off your rental car at the AVE station in Tarragona, Reus Airport and other central points of the town. Choose the location that best suits your trip using our online search engine.
Tolls to take into account when driving with your rental car in Tarragona
On your way to Tarragona you will find two toll roads: The AP-7 or Autopista del Mediterraneo links France with Algeciras through the coast and crosses Tarragona. The AP-2 or Autopista del Nordeste links the cities of Zaragoza and Barcelona.
How is the traffic in Tarragona?
As it happens in many Spanish cities, the traffic is a bit complicated in the most central areas. If you decide to go into the old town with your rental car you have to take into account that many streets are quite narrow and one-way. And if this is not enough, you will have to drive on semi-pedestrian roads. We advise you to intensify your driving precautions to the maximum.
Parking your rental car in Tarragona
You may have some trouble parking during rush hour. Most of the parking spaces are regulated, so you will have to pay attention to the regulations.
- Blue zone: all vehicles that want to park in this area must pay the corresponding fee. The ticket must be renewed every two hours. To give you an idea, you will have to pay 0.75 euros for half an hour of parking, 1.10 euros for one hour and 3 euros for two hours.
- Green zone: area reserved for residents. You will be able to park outside the established hours.
- Orange zone: long-term parking. These spaces are usually located outside the city center and have a cost of 1 € per day for non-residents.
From Furauto we recommend that you leave you no problems and park your vehicle in a public or private parking. Here we show you a link with the parking lots that may be more convenient for you.
Sightseeing with your rental car in Tarragona
Tarragona is a paradise for lovers of archeology, history and art. You can get lost for days without being able to discover everything this city has to offer. Fortunately, by booking your cheap car hire in Tarragona with Furauto you will be able to reach any place you want with total freedom:
- Cultural Rome: Let yourself be carried away by the grandeur of the Roman Theater, the Roman Circus and the Roman Amphitheater. The three jewels of the city.
- Tour of Tarraco: Discover the Local Forum (30 B.C.), the Provincial Forum (1st century), the Wall and the Petrorium.
- Cathedral and Diocesan Museum: Built on an ancient Roman temple, it was consecrated in 1331 and dedicated to Santa Tecla.
- Medieval Hospital: Romanesque-Gothic building that housed the old hospital of Santa Tecla.
- Rambla Nova: Joins the Plaça de la Imperial Tarraco with the Balcony of the Mediterranean; touching its railing is supposed to bring good luck.
- Mercería Street: Very close to the Town Hall, every Sunday morning in this street, there is a street market. Do not miss its beautiful arches.
- El Serrallo: Fisherman's quarter with a very special atmosphere. Here you can attend fish auctions.
- Beaches: Sunbathe at the Miracle Beach, Larrabassada Beach and Savinosa Beach, belonging to the Costa Dorada.
- Art route: Visit the Paleochristian Museum and Necropolis, the National Archaeological Museum of Tarragona and the Museum of the Port of Tarragona.
- The Modernist city: Discover the other side of Tarragona through the Mercat Central, the Casa Canals, the Metropol Theater and the Casa Ximenis.
Get to know the Province of Tarragona by Car
Altafulla, Reus, Salou, L'Espluga de Francolí, Deltebre, Valls, Roda de Bará, Cambrils, L'Ametlla de Mar, El Perelló, Calafell, Amposta or Sant Carles de la Rápita are other towns that you can visit with your rental car. You can not miss, very close to the capital, the Aqueduct of Les Ferreres, the Arch of Berá, the Roman Villa of Centcelles, the Roman Villa of Els Munts, Tamarit Beach and, of course, Port Aventura.