Booking a rental car in Santander is no longer a problem with Furauto. Using our online comparator you can drop off and pick up your vehicle at any of our offices comfortably and without spending an extra euro.
Explore Santander with your rental car
Welcome to Santander. The capital of Cantabria is famous for the great cultural and leisure offer it provides to its visitors. Especially interesting are its good climate and its golden sandy beaches. Enjoy a unique natural environment, a monumental heritage worthy of praise and a finger-licking seafood cuisine. Fancy a good rice with lobster?
The city of Santander, the most populated of all the autonomous community, is currently inhabited by just under 173,000 residents. If the entire metropolitan area is taken into account, the figure rises to 300,000 inhabitants.
Although there may have been earlier settlements, there is no evidence of any of them until Roman times. It was in the Cerro de Somorrostro where the largest amount of remains belonging to the ancient Portus Victoriae Iuliobrigensium were found.
And what to say about the personalities of Santander who have achieved success and fame? Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola (the discoverer of the Altamira Caves), the painter José de Madrazo, the writer Concha Espina and the banker Emilio Botín were born in Santander. Also the writer Álvaro Pombo, the designer Ángel Schlesser, the presenter Miriam Díaz-Aroca, the actor Eduardo Noriega, the basketball player Fernando San Emeterio and the athlete Ruth Beitia.
In short, the capital of Cantabria has a lot to offer its visitors. So that you don't miss anything, at Furauto we provide you with the most complete service of cheap car rental in Santander. Vehicles with all the features at an unbeatable price. Enter our online search engine and check it out!
How to get to Santander
Severiano Ballesteros Airport, located in Camargo, operates flights to Madrid, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Seville, Malaga, Gran Canaria, Alicante, Lanzarote, Tenerife, Valencia, Menorca and Ibiza. From here there are also international trips to Paris, Brussels, London, Bergamo, Rome, Dusseldorf, Dublin, Frankfurt, Edinburgh and Venice. By sea, it is possible to reach Plymouth, Portsmouth and Poole from Santander.
In addition to a funicular, Santander has two Feve commuter lines, a RENFE commuter line, Alvia trains to Alicante and Madrid and a large fleet of buses.
If you prefer to travel by road enjoying your rental car in Santander you should know the following access roads to the city:
- A-8. Cantabrian Highway: It runs along the coast from the border of the Basque Country to Galicia.
- A-67. Cantabria-Meseta Highway: Connects Cantabria with Palencia.
- N-611: Runs between Santander and Palencia.
- N-623: Connects the cities of Burgos and Santander.
- S-10: East access to the city of Santander.
- S-20: West access to Santander.
- S-30. Autovía Ronda de la Bahía de Santander: Ring road.
Where can I pick up and drop off my rental car in Santander?
You can pick up and drop off your vehicle in several areas of the city and its surroundings. Of course, you can also pick up your rental car at the Santander airport named after the famous golfer Severiano Ballesteros.
Although the airport is located in the municipality of Camargo, you don't have to worry about the duration of your trip to Santander. You will only have to drive less than ten minutes to reach the center of the town.
And don't forget that you can also have your rental car at the Santander station conveniently located in the Plaza de las Estaciones. As you can see, the transportation options are many and varied for you to choose the one that suits you best.
Parking your rental car in Santander
The city of Santander has 7,000 paid parking spaces, marked as blue zone. This area operates from Monday to Friday from 10:00h to 14:00h and from 16:00h to 20:00h. Non-festive Saturdays are also paid parking in the morning. Therefore, in Furauto we recommend you to leave your car comfortably in one of the public or private parking lots in Santander. You can find subway parking Alfonso XIII, Cachavas, Pombo, Jesús de Monasterio, Plaza del Ayuntamiento, Mercado de México, Numancia, Mercado de la Esperanza, Valdecilla and the Puertochico parking lot.
How much does fuel cost in Santander?
Filling up the tank in Santander can range from 1,20€ to 1,40€ per liter. Remember that in Furauto we have the Full/Full service so you only pay for the fuel you spend.
Sightseeing with your rental car in Santander
Have you booked your cheap car hire in Santander? Then you can start discovering its beaches, its people and its streets. If you don't have time to see everything, at least don't miss the Top 10 must-see places to visit.
- Cathedral Church of Our Lady of the Assumption: Predominantly Gothic in style, it was built between the twelfth and fourteenth centuries.
- Palace of Riva-Herrera: This is the oldest civil construction in the city, since the "tower of Pronillo" dates back to medieval times.
- Palacio de la Magdalena: It was built as a home for the Spanish royal family between 1909 and 1911. Its work was paid for by the city council and private neighbors.
- Convent of the Madres Clarisas de Santa Cruz: In the 19th century it was transformed into a tobacco factory. Nowadays it is being looked for a new use.
- Mercado del Este: Declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1986, it was demolished by the city council in 2000, who built a new market without using hardly any elements of the original monument.
- Hospital de San Rafael: Before becoming a health center, it was a hospice, an asylum and a house for the poor. Currently this building houses the Parliament of Cantabria.
- Library and house-museum of Marcelino Menéndez Pelayo: The writer from Santander donated his work and books to the town council. To house all this knowledge, a library was built next to his family home.
- Museums: Among all of them, it is worth mentioning the Museum of Prehistory and Archaeology of Cantabria, the Municipal Museum of Fine Arts and the Cantabrian Maritime Museum.
- Beaches: The city has twelve beaches. If you do not have time to visit them all, do not miss El Sardinero and La Concha.
- Cabo Mayor Lighthouse: It is one of the favorite snapshots of tourists, who come here to enjoy one of the best views of the sea and the city.
Get to know the Community of Cantabria by Car
After visiting Santander, drive towards Santillana del Mar, Castro Urdiales, Barcena Mayor, Potes, Comillas, San Vicente de la Barquera, Laredo, Liérganes, Cahecho and Carmona.